Twitter Facebook Burger Menu Icon Burger Menu Icon Mail Tick Circle Letter Telephone Full View Detail View Gallery View Valuation Icon Auction Icon Viewing Icon Watchlist Add Icon Commission Bid Icon Condition Report Icon Text Icon Cross Pause Question Tick Cancel Edit Save Edits Cancel Edits Uploading Unpause Send

Three Day Fine Art Sale July 2013

> >
A hand scrivened and illuminated vellum grant an augmentation of arms dated 6th October 1679, to Francis Burghill, Mowbray Herald extraordinary marking service as an agent to the Duke of Norfolk on a diplomatic mission to Morocco. The augmentation of honour, an eastern crown or was added to the bend gules of his arms, with a similar crown added to the crest, a lion's head erased argent. Arms of the grantee, woith those of the Sovereign (Chalres II) flanked by those of the Duke of Norfolk as Earl Marshal and Robert Bruce, 1st Earl of Ailesbury (and 2nd Earl of Elgin in Scotland), d. 1685) as deputy Earl Marshal and by Sir Henry St. George, Norroy (in office 1677-1680, d. 1715) and Sir William Dugdale, Garter (in office 1677-1686), 50.8 x 38cm, framed   Sir William Dugdale (1605-1686) born the son of a landowner at Shustoke,m Warwickshire. He inherited his father's estate in 1624 and purchased the neighbouring one of Blyth a year later. He was one of the great antiquaries and historians of his age, and was first appointed a herald in 1639. He was a Royalist in the Civil War, gaining an MA at Oxford whilst acting as one of the King's secretaries, researching his books in the Bodleian, and Elias Ashmole later became is son-in-law. He was appointed Norroy King of Arms (responsible for heraldic matters north of the Trent) at the Restoration and was promoted to Garter in 1677. His chief work was to gather all the monastic records then available (many were subsequently lost) and publish them as Monasticum Anglicanum (1655-73) which he followed with his Baronage of England (1675, essentially England's first reliable peerage) The Antiquities of Warwickshire (1656) and numerous other works  The grantee Francis Burghill was of an old Herefordshire family seated at Little Thinghill, Herefordshire, Brecon and Bungay, Suffolk. He was appointed Mowbray Herald 1677 and served as Somerset Herald 1680-1700, during which time he jointly undertook the Visitation of Rutland in 1681. He married at St. Peter, Hereford in 1696 and died in London in 1704.
sold for £2200.00

1356

A hand scrivened and illuminated vellum grant an augmentation of arms dated 6th October 1679, to Francis Burghill, Mowbray Herald extraordinary marking service as an agent to the Duke of Norfolk on a diplomatic mission to Morocco. The augmentation of honour, an eastern crown or was added to the bend gules of his arms, with a similar crown added to the crest, a lion's head erased argent. Arms of the grantee, woith those of the Sovereign (Chalres II) flanked by those of the Duke of Norfolk as Earl Marshal and Robert Bruce, 1st Earl of Ailesbury (and 2nd Earl of Elgin in Scotland), d. 1685) as deputy Earl Marshal and by Sir Henry St. George, Norroy (in office 1677-1680, d. 1715) and Sir William Dugdale, Garter (in office 1677-1686), 50.8 x 38cm, framed Sir William Dugdale (1605-1686) born the son of a landowner at Shustoke,m Warwickshire. He inherited his father's estate in 1624 and purchased the neighbouring one of Blyth a year later. He was one of the great antiquaries and historians of his age, and was first appointed a herald in 1639. He was a Royalist in the Civil War, gaining an MA at Oxford whilst acting as one of the King's secretaries, researching his books in the Bodleian, and Elias Ashmole later became is son-in-law. He was appointed Norroy King of Arms (responsible for heraldic matters north of the Trent) at the Restoration and was promoted to Garter in 1677. His chief work was to gather all the monastic records then available (many were subsequently lost) and publish them as Monasticum Anglicanum (1655-73) which he followed with his Baronage of England (1675, essentially England's first reliable peerage) The Antiquities of Warwickshire (1656) and numerous other works The grantee Francis Burghill was of an old Herefordshire family seated at Little Thinghill, Herefordshire, Brecon and Bungay, Suffolk. He was appointed Mowbray Herald 1677 and served as Somerset Herald 1680-1700, during which time he jointly undertook the Visitation of Rutland in 1681. He married at St. Peter, Hereford in 1696 and died in London in 1704.

Condition Reports

There are currently no viewable condition reports for this lot